Laurel School District Parent Center
303 West 8th Street (The entrance is on the 10th Street side of Central Office)
Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays: 7:45 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Wednesdays & Fridays: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
WHY A PARENT CENTER?
Parents are their children’s first and most influential teachers. The social, emotional, mental and physical development is dependent upon the family. We know that early years are the most important learning years, therefore, strong and healthy families are a MUST in helping to shape a child’s first years. Parent/Family Centers can help families meet the challenges of societal pressures and provide supportive educational programs and materials for children and families. The center can teach parents how to observe developmental growth of their children and how to support that growth in appropriate ways. We also offer programs that teach families how to develop a positive self-concept or self-esteem in all family members. This develops positive guidance techniques and the ability to accept responsibility.A Parent/Family center is an environment that promotes positive relationships between the family, school, and community. Programs and services are provided to meet and support the community’s needs.
WHAT SERVICES ARE OFFERED?
- After School Assistance: Parent or responsible adult MUST accompany child and remain with child. Tutoring is available by calling the center to schedule a session.
- AR Leveled Books: Books are color coded and available to assist students achieve their AR goals.
- Computers: Eight computers connected to the internet are available for both students and parents. The Parent Center is the perfect place to receive resume assistance, use the internet for job searches and online classes, etc.
- Copier: A copy machine is available to make copies of school work, birth certificates, social security cards and other important papers.
- Reading Fair Board Assistance
- Lamination: The Parent Center has a lamination machine for those documents that you would like to preserve.
- Practical Parenting Education: The Parent Center hosts six 1-hour family sessions each year covering topics such as "Understanding Your Role as a Parent," "Communicating Within the Family," "Building Self Esteem within the Family," "Resolving Homework Issues" and "Grandparents Raising Grandchildren." Each session includes handouts and quick tips. All family members are invited. A schedule is available at the Parent Center.